Friday, April 27, 2012

Jesus' Return an Interruption?

I was listening to the radio the other day and a preacher made the comment that many Christians view Jesus' return as an interruption.  My heart and mind balked.  An interruption?  "Why do some Christians have this reluctance?" I began to wonder.  "Why don't they want their Savior to return?"  In pondering, I have come to the conclusion that there are two main reasons.

First, sure, Christians want to go to heaven, but they want to have their "fun" first. They have their plans for their lives and they don't want these plans thrown off course.  Whether it's getting a certain job, getting married, getting that big house or expensive car, having children, or any number of desires, Christians have their own plans.  Inherent in this is a worldview assumption: my life should be done my way.  In this, I sense Christians who have not submitted to God's will.  They don't really want God's will.  They may say they do, but their upset over interrupted plans reveals the truth of their passions.

The second reason is a far harder pill to swallow.  It's something I have talked about before to people, but don't often because it can be offensive--at least, that's how it can be taken.  The second reason flows from the first reason and it hurts my heart: Christians don't love God.

My own excitement for Jesus coming back stems from my release from sin.  Imagine having no inclination to sin so that I never hurt another person again with my words or actions and I am never hurt in return?  Imagine not having the burden of my past sins lingering over my head? I can't wait for that day!  But even more than that, I cannot wait to behold my God in all his glory.  My favorite picture of Jesus comes from Revelation:

"I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone like a son of man, dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance." (Rev. 1:12-16)

I cannot wait to physically touch him and be held by him.  Why?  Because I love him with such love I can't even describe the depth of my heart.  I'm not trying to toot my own horn here.  This love doesn't come out of me because I am such a great Christian.  It comes out of me because I am such a great sinner who has been gifted the life of a saint: 

“Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”
Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”
“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.
Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” (Luke 7:41-47)

How can we not love him?  We have been forgiven so much!  How can we not wait to see him?  How can we not desire our Savior right in front of us?  Because when it comes down to it, we don't love God enough.  We don't love him more than our plans and our wills.  We don't want him to come back, because we don't view him as our beloved coming to take his bride.  We aren't the bride who waits in eagerness for her groom.  But that is how it should be.

When Jesus comes, I guarantee that all our petty, earthy cares will pass away.  None of that will matter.  To love him and be loved by him is a gift beyond description.  So ask yourself: Do I view my Savior's return as an interruption?  Do I care more about my plans than His?  Do I truly love Him?  If you find your heart isn't where it should be, take the next step and ask God to move it where it should be.  Pray that you, too, will wait with eager anticipation to behold the glory of your God.

2 comments:

  1. In my mind, it's the fact that I have family members who haven't accepted Christ yet. The thought kind of bothers me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of that. What I wanted to take on was the idea that it was an interruption, i.e. interrupting what I want to do.

    Peter himself says Jesus delays his coming for others to enter into Christ. I do think as well, though, that on the day we see him, our cares even for those who haven't entered the flock will pale in comparison to our joy at seeing him.

    ReplyDelete