Sunday, December 21, 2014

Advent: Prince of Peace

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, 
and the government will be on his shoulders. 
And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, 
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:6
 
The last title applied to the child born for us in Isaiah 9 is usually translated "Prince of Peace." This title is the most interesting to me because it has the most depth. To say "Prince of Peace" is so simple in English; the Hebrew meaning is far richer. The Hebrew term translated as "prince" in English is actually much broader, meaning someone who rules or is in charge of something. It is not limited to royalty. The term for "peace" is one most people know: shalom. Shalom, though it contains the idea of peace, means far more. It includes the ideas of prosperity, harmony, well-being, security, completeness. Thus a better translation might be "ruler in charge of shalom."

How does this deeper meaning affect my view of Christ? When I've heard the phrase "Prince of Peace" before, I've thought more along the lines of Christ being passive--that he is peace because one of his attributes is peace. And that is true to an extent. But the idea of him being in charge of peace makes him an active participant in peace. He is not just peace in himself; he controls peace and makes peace happen. He is the ruler over my prosperity, harmony, well-being, security and completeness. I look to him as the source of shalom. This phrase fixes my eyes on the one who holds shalom in his grasp and is able to work it in my life. It reminds me that I am dependent on my Savior.

This Christmas, remember to look to your "Prince of Peace." Pray to him and thank him and petition him, for he is both the embodiment and the manager of peace in your life. Without the child born to us, peace is but a fleeting vision and temporary illusion. With him, peace has come to reign in our world and our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment