Friday, December 5, 2014

Advent: Wonderful Counselor

"For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor..."
Isaiah 9:6
 
Are you overwhelmed this season? Are you caught in the busyness of life, the holidays seemingly rushing by? I don't know about you, but at this time of year I always feel my schedule is packed and I am hard-pressed to catch my breath. Perhaps our expectations cause us to rush this time of year or maybe even good intentions of friends and family as we find ourselves invited to multiple events. How many of us think at the end of the season, "Did I even remember why we do all this?"

This month I am going to be posting five advent meditations, thoughts on the child born to us, who he for us even now. It's a way for me to focus on him in the midst of the crazy, to take a step back and gaze  squarely at the one this time is all about. I pray that as I focus myself, these posts may also help others pause to regain perspective.

Today I look to my wonderful counselor. Wonderful. The Hebrew word means something extraordinary, something miraculous, something hard to comprehend. It describes a work of God that causes us to stand in awe. In Jesus, God inserted himself into our world as a human--a miracle to be sure, something beyond expectations and yes, hard to understand. God in a man? And this is not a story or a myth; this is God truly being born a child, a son with authority. It is hard to wrap our minds around such a profound truth. And then the phrase goes farther...

Maybe we can deal with God become man, born a child. Maybe we have enough faith in miracles of God to go with such a happening. But then...Counselor. One who gives advice and counsel. In wonderful, we see God's hand and action doing something beyond us. Counselor links this wonder to us. This miracle event is meant to touch us intimately. This child born will not remain above us, but will interact with us. He will be our adviser and counselor. He will speak words to guide us and lead us. We will so recognize his authority that he will be the foundation and center of our lives. This child of wonder has profound impact on me personally. Am I listening to him?

In the midst of the season, remember he who is a miracle born to show you the master plan of life. Turn to him, fix your eyes on him, recall especially now that he is your focus and foundation. Enter again into the miracle, setting aside distraction. For you he came, to you he speaks. He is your Wonderful Counselor.

No comments:

Post a Comment